It’s the middle of August, there are posters on every lamppost and my wallet’s nearly empty – this can only mean one thing: the Edinburgh Festival Fringe is in town. Every year, this comedy/theatre/music/arts behemoth completely takes over the entire capital for the month of August, rendering even a quick nip to the corner shop a massively time consuming mission-and-a-half. All sorts come and perform at ‘the festival’ (as it’s handily referred to locally) but so far this year I’ve only managed to catch some comedy.
However, flicking through the programme and trying to decide which upstart to catch tonight, I couldn’t help but notice a lot of shows jumping out at me. Maybe I’m paranoid, or just have a one-track mind, but there seems to be a lot of shows which could be (but are probably not) about paintball.
Here’s my Top 5 Paintball Related (or not) Comedy Shows of 2010…going on the names alone that is.
1. ‘Firing Cheeseballs at a Dog’ (Greg Davies, the headmaster from The Inbetweeners…funny guy)
2. ‘The Bad Lad Lands’ (Chris McGlade)
3. ‘Addicted To Danger’ (McNeil & Pamphilon)
4. ‘We Want Action’ (The Boom Jennies, not sure which is better; their name or their show’s name)
5. ‘Bang Out of Order’ (TNT Comedy Explosion)
And a special mention must go to both “The Axis of Awesome: Songs in the Key of Awesome” and “BattleActs!”, the improvised comedy show at The Laughing Horse.